Barn Program Session I
Saturday September 19 9:30am - 11:00am
Event Status: Planned
The Holland Project at Black Sheep Farm $150 / 6 weeks
81 Church Street
Disability Served: Autism, Intellectual, Mental Health
Communities Served: Adult, Teen
An integrated farming and agricultural Saturday program for teens diagnosed with autism and other developmental delays. The program is designed for the teens to have a typically developing volunteer from the community to assist them. Each program participant will experience the many educational, therapeutic, vocational and social benefits of working on a farm with a peer and caring for the animals on a farm setting.
We start off each session by pairing up with a volunteer buddy and taking a brief walk on the nature trail that runs through the property. Once everyone is warmed up participants will help with barn chores, learn grooming techniques, and work with their buddy.
All activities are unmounted.
Program Structure: 6 Wk Saturday program
9:30:am – 11:00 am.
· 1 ½ hrs in length
· 1:1 ratio participant to volunteer
· 7 participants
· Additional volunteer staff include a LICSW.
· Ability to handle the physical aspects of the program and interact with animals
· Behavioral assessment/intake questionnaire completed by parent, caregiver, or educator prior to start of program.
· Screening for medical conditions or allergies that might interfere with the participation of the program
All volunteers must be 14 yrs old and will participate in a volunteer orientation program. Community service hours will be awarded.
Deadline Sept 13
Max: 8 participants
Each session: $150
payment must be received to reserve a spot